I’ve been experimenting with the Experimental pods, and thought I’ve leave some feedback just incase anyone else is wondering what works and what doesn’t. Usually, I use my Click n Grow as starter for things that I will then transplant to containers on my balcony, or other windowsill pots.
Things that work really, really, well.
- Lettuce - Buttercrunch Butterhead. This really gets wild. It explodes all over the surrounding pods.
- Lettuce - Ruby Leaf. Another top performer that gets pretty big.
- Brussels Sprouts - Long Island Improved. These will grow quickly, giving you something reliably strong to transplant.
- Pumpkin. Another reliable starter to go outside.
Things that work OK.
- Cabbage - Golden Acre. This is reasonably reliable.
- Cucumber - Marketmore. This will do OK under the C&G. Quickly outgrows the pod and needs to spread roots.
- Tomato - Beefsteak. It works, but no better than just planting in normal pot.
- Corn - Golden Bantam. It sprouts reliably, but you have to transplant it quickly.
Things that failed.
- Radish - Cherry Belle.
- Spinach (Bloomsdale). Maybe finds pod too wet?
- Turnip (Shoguin). This was a true experiment just to see what would happen. You’ll get nice peppery leaves, but that’s it. Even transplanting will not save it.
- Rosemary. I haven’t worked out why this failed.
- Thyme. I haven’t worked out this one either.
So, that might give people something to mull over. Obviously, your mileage might vary, but for me, half the fun is just trying to experiment.