Experimental Pods - My experiences

Hi,

I’ve been experimenting with the Experimental pods, and thought I’ve leave some feedback just incase anyone else is wondering what works and what doesn’t. Usually, I use my Click n Grow as starter for things that I will then transplant to containers on my balcony, or other windowsill pots.

Things that work really, really, well.

• Lettuce - Buttercrunch Butterhead. This really gets wild. It explodes all over the surrounding pods.
  • Lettuce - Ruby Leaf. Another top performer that gets pretty big.
  • Brussels Sprouts - Long Island Improved. These will grow quickly, giving you something reliably strong to transplant.
  • Pumpkin. Another reliable starter to go outside.

Things that work OK.

• Cabbage - Golden Acre. This is reasonably reliable.
  • Cucumber - Marketmore. This will do OK under the C&G. Quickly outgrows the pod and needs to spread roots.
  • Tomato - Beefsteak. It works, but no better than just planting in normal pot.
  • Corn - Golden Bantam. It sprouts reliably, but you have to transplant it quickly.

Things that failed.

• Radish - Cherry Belle.
  • Spinach (Bloomsdale). Maybe finds pod too wet?
  • Turnip (Shoguin). This was a true experiment just to see what would happen. You’ll get nice peppery leaves, but that’s it. Even transplanting will not save it.
  • Rosemary. I haven’t worked out why this failed.
  • Thyme. I haven’t worked out this one either.

So, that might give people something to mull over. Obviously, your mileage might vary, but for me, half the fun is just trying to experiment.

Cheers!

4 Likes

That experimenting looks like a lot of work!

Anyways, I live in a hardy climate. So, I also use sg9 to start on plants that I’ll transplant to a greenhouse in late May, usually tomatoes (tall varieties), cucumber and physalis. It works really well for me.

Spinach does need lower temp range than herbs. If the temp drops they will sprout, but may bolt too early and produce less leaves if the day is too long.
Rosemary may need upto 1 month to sprout, and it naturally has quite low germination rate.

It would be awesome to read what other users have been testing.:bulb:

1 Like

I would like to add to things that work really well with experimental pods:

• Autoflowering Cannabis seeds
1 Like

Noipv4 … Does it go all the way to the final stage of harvesting? Or do you transplant at a later stages?

Need to transplant into bigger pot with coco-peat and pumice stones, after 3 weeks.

Also Stevia does fine as well. The germination ratio was around 50%. I used Swiss Stevia seeds in the experimental pods at ambient 26C over the summer.