Near natural sunlight?

I’m setting up my new Click & Grow station, and wondered if natural sunlight is going to be a benefit - or a problem for growing (mostly salad greens & herbs). When I grew microgreens they “reached” toward the sunlight and became disfigured. Will my Click & Grow plants be happier near the window or in a dark corner?

Thank You!!

2 Likes

I’m wondering the same. I have an open concept kitchen/living room/dining room so that level gets a decent amount of light on sunny days. I want to leave it to grow on my kitchen counter.

1 Like

Yes – it arrived 2 days ago – thanks.

Understand you’re busy – but I (we) do have an outstanding question on the site…

“I’m setting up my new Click & Grow station, and wondered if natural sunlight is going to be a benefit - or a problem for growing (mostly salad greens & herbs). When I grew microgreens they “reached” toward the sunlight and became disfigured. Will my Click & Grow plants be happier near the window or in a dark corner?”

1 Like

Thank you for an excellent topic @Ladyhelix.

The LED lights that come with your indoor garden are sufficient to grow all plants in the darkness/ without much natural sunlight available. Feel free to place it where ever it is more convenient for you.
Crops that enjoy the warmth (e.g. peppers, tomatoes, and most herbs) benefit from the natural sunlight, but also do just fine if the garden is placed in the dark.
Most edible greens don’t tolerate temperatures above 24C and excess sunlight may force them to bold, which in turn changes the texture, taste and reduces yield. Also, excess sunlight may heat up the water in the tank and the yield of most edible greens may suffer if it raises too high. You can find the info about temperature requirements for every plant pod under plant care tab.
However, the fact that your microgreens “reached” towards the light indicates that the natural light available is not sufficient to grow greens. So, it is probably okay to place your smart garden to the sunlight, even while growing greens.

Happy growing and welcome to the community!

1 Like

Excellent – thank you SO MUCH!

Where can I read about planning “crops” in sequence (so they don’t all be ready at once?

1 Like

Hello Mirjam
If i am growing flowers like Petunia, Pansy and Polka Dot Flowers…is the natural light on top of LED light okay too?

1 Like

Hi @ilovesalad , welcome!

Petunia and Polka Dot will do just fine and enjoy well-lit conditions, Pansy will love it also, but make sure the sun would not heat it up too much, as it does not tolerate high temps very well, at least in early growing stages.