A trick for staking tomatoes

When your tomatoes are starting to ripen, they might become heavy burdens for the branches to carry and stay straight, like these sad guys in the picture below.

This means your plants are in need of some physical support. To fix this, all you need to do is to insert a stick into the soil against the leaning plants. If the plants do not lean on the stick, use a string or similar kind to tie them together.

Now they look much more cheerful :slight_smile:

This also works with any naughty plants that refuse to grow straight.

4 Likes

I know this is a super old thread, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experience with this. I ordered some of the smaller sticks from the website, but we always use a cage outside.

Am I at risk of messing up the roots stabbing into these little pods? I feel like using some of that green moldable string might be easier and tie it to the top of the light?

Thanks!

Hey,

The earlier, the better, as the roots grow bigger with time. But really, the tomato roots are strong enough, don’t need to worry about messing them up. :wink:

Even if you add the sticks later when the plants are flowering it’s fine. You can try to push the sticks near the free space between the pod and the cup (like in the photo here).

You can insert the stick on the pod’s side and then tie the moldable string carefully to the stem.

1 Like

Thanks! I usually worry to much about those things, the plants are still small and should be a bit away from flowering.

Thanks again

1 Like

I did it! fingers crossed :grin:

1 Like

Oh, looks great! You did it! :smiley:

Did you also thin the tomato plants to one stem (plant) per pod? The middle one looks like it has two plants in one pod. Thinning is necessary for some plants because it provides them with more space, light and nutrients to thrive. Overcrowded plant pods can lead to a shortage of nutrients as there is heavy competition for plant food.

But of course, if you already did it, congratulations you have beautiful plants growing. If you need any tips on growing plants I advise you to use the Click and Grow App or always post in forum :wink:

1 Like

I did not thin them! I will clip them this morning. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Great then you should be all set. Now was the best time to thin the plants, when they were just starting and easy to cut off or pull out.