Cherry tomato plants - a few questions

Hello, I am growing cherry tomato plants for the first time and I have a few questions:

1. Can I move the plants around as they grow? Such as rotate each pod to get better light.
  2. My plants are now pretty tall and producing flowers. I am worried that in another couple of weeks they might grow all the way to the bulbs. Should I get an extension? My understanding is that this type of determinate tomato doesn’t grow too tall, so maybe it will stop growing.
  3. Right now I have 5 plants in a line (on a 9 pod unit). Can I start more seeds in the remaining pods, or is it pointless since the grown plants take a lot of light.
  4. I am attempting to pollinate for the first time. I tried shaking the plants but I am not sure if that is enough, so I plan on using a special pollination vibrating brush (from a competing brand). Should I actually touch inside the flower, or just outside at its base to vibrate and make the pollen fall? I heard that touching inside the flower can damage it.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I just realized I have one more question:

1. I want to use sticks to support the plants. In the videos it looks like they just insert the stick in the pod. Won’t this damage the roots? Do I insert it as far away from the plant, or next to it?
2 Likes

Hello @RayMoose,

Great choice of a plant. You get to have a fun experience while growing your own tomatoes!

1. Definitely, no rules there - as long as everyone gets enough light. :slight_smile: I do that all the time for my plants.
  2. The tomato stops growing when the flowers are emerging. Might grow a little bit more, but it’ll rather stay as big as it is. Many use extensions, but it is actually not necessary to grow tomatoes or any plant from our selection. Some plants might get taller than the lamps but it’s no big issue as most of the plants get enough light and will yield.
  3. As you can rotate and switch places of all plants it shouldn’t be a problem. Starting new pods is a great idea - maybe position them on one side of the unit and bigger plants on the opposite side. Be mindful as some of the plants do need light to ensure germination (basils, petunia, savory, snapdragon to name a few).
  4. Pollinating can be done by hand or brush, just gently shaking the plants from the top and the flower’s pollen will fall onto the pistil, fertilizing the flower. It kind of self-pollinates but it will need a helping hand to release it. I’d recommend touching flowers gently from the outside. An electric pollinating tool will do too! Yes, it could damage the flower if you try to reach the inside of the pistil.
    Ps. don’t be alarmed if some petals fall off in the growing process as long as the rest of the plant stays intact.
  5. If done early it will not damage the roots of the plant. Inserting it between a cup and a plant pod would be the best. But it is fine to just stick it in too, not too close to the stem, just a little bit further. As we recommend keeping the white top lids on the plants at all times there is limited space where to insert the stick, but it’s doable. If needed you can tie the stick and stem together with a ribbon.

Our Youtube page has videos on the most important care tips. I’m sure you’ll find extra visual guides there if any of the techniques are new.
Happy to help with any questions! :sunflower:

2 Likes

Thanks so much, I appreciate the detailed and informed answers!

1 Like

You’re welcome.
I really appreciate Your thoughtful questions.

1 Like