Covers for empty holes?

Since my five tomato plants are quite big now, and I harvested the lettuce from the remaining four pods, I plan to cover those instead of trying to grow something new. According to Click and Grow instructions we should not just leave empty cups in the holes. However, Click and Grow doesn’t seem to offer any covers. I am trying to maintain the esthetics of the garden, so I don’t want to use just anything. Any suggestions?

It is meant that all the holes are used simultaneously, but there are some clever ways that I have seen to be used. The easiest way is to take off the wicks from cups while there’s nothing growing, cover the wick hole and put on the U-shaped lid. This will keep the light from shining into the tank.
Stickers will do or a thicker paper that’s placed on top of the pods.
For example, so many hydroponic growers use golf balls or mason jar lids to cover these empty holes. Plus there are some covers available to buy from Amazon.
Then there’s an option to 3D print your own covers, you can choose from Thingiverse.com or other 3D printing communities. Usually called cover, cap or lid.

1 Like

i think i have seen some people on Etsy who also sell covers. in case you don’t have access to an 3d printer. There are also some other useful tools available.

1 Like

Thank you! For now I followed Debora’s advice and put some stickers at the bottom of the empty cups, as you can see in the photo.

2 Likes

This is what I do. I just use the u-cover, and put the germinating dome on top, with the slit on opposite side to reduce water evaporation.

1 Like

That’s great too, but I kindly remind you that leaving the hole uncovered (still seethrough) can lead to problems with algae forming in the water. It is harmless but makes the water greenish and full of debris, which is unpleasant to clean, plus due to that cleaning should be done more frequently.

I use these covers that came with an J&C Self Watering Planter. Those planters have 4 holes each (you can buy two planters in a pack). I use those planters during the winder months to stage my chilly plants before I put them in pots on the balcony. But I don’t want to further block my Click&Grow garden.

Also those planters are great if you actually buy some salad with earth on it. We have here a trio of salad that perfectly fits into the Click&Grow and J&C pots… so I can keep it watered.

Maybe it would be an idea for Click&Grow to sell similar covers themself?

2 Likes