How often should I change the wicks

Hey, I just wanted to see how often the wicks should be changed in the gardens?

1 Like

The rule is to replace wicks if they fail to transport water to the plant pod. Also, it is important to make sure it is a wick problem only (not caused by rootbound etc).

Wicks are meant to last for 2 years, after that the ability to transport water may be reduced (but still enough for plants to grow).
There is no rule for wicks’ longevity- it strongly depends on the water quality and how actively the garden is in use.

3 Likes

I have never changed a wick. But it seems that it depends on the water quality a lot. The wick works as a filter. It allows you to use low quality water. Unfortunately it can get glogged if there are many solids in the water.

3 Likes

Absolutely, I have been using one garden about three years now and new pods still get wet in 2 hours- so I would say they still work perfectly.

5 Likes

I’m rounding on 2 years and so far so good - haven’t yet had to change my wicks either!

2 Likes

The wicks also work longer when you never let your Smart Garden run out of water.

2 Likes

I don’t have that problem now. But, what if I need new wicks… where can I get new ones?
It does not seem like a product I could simply buy from my local store. Can I buy it from Click and Grow?

1 Like

Hello,

Yes, if needed, you can buy some from Click & Grow directly : https://clickandgrow.com/products/water-transmitting-wicks

1 Like

Hi, thank you @GoZeph.

Is it easy to change? Would I need tools?

1 Like

No tools needed, you just have to slip the wick in it, from what I know.

4 Likes

Okay, thanks!

1 Like

Hi,
I bought a set of cng cups not knowing there’s soil and basil seeds inside . Actually I only wanted the cups . Problem now is it doesn’t comes with a wick and it’s sold out online . Temporary I’m using 4mm string as a wick . When will the spares be available ?
Thanks .

1 Like

Hey! We’re getting new stock shortly (hopefully during this week) but great improvisation on your side!

3 Likes

Hi,

there are accessories available for Smart Gardens [here] (https://eu.clickandgrow.com/collections/accessories) and the wicks is suitable for all products.

2 Likes

Hi there! I use distilled water in my gardens, but I do add nutrients to them. Any tips on how often I should change the wicks?

1 Like

Hi @jenccyang
There is no specific rule on when to change the wicks.

As the only purpose of wicks is to transport water to the soil there is an easy test you can do to check how well the wick is performing. When you click in a new dry plant pod to start a new growing round- monitor for how long it takes for the plant pod to become fully moist. If the soil is fully moist in less than an hour- it is good. If it takes much longer than an hour- you should consider getting new ones.

Anyways, I use hardy tap water, and mine last for a year or two. But, why do you add nutrients to the tank, are you doing a DIY solution?

that’s a great test! thanks for the tip and i’ll follow the 1 hour rule for future planting.

i use the pro cups and the roots always grow outside of the pod into the tank, so i have nurtients in the water to feed those roots that are directly in the tank. i’ve noticed that if i don’t put nutrients in, the overgrown roots that are in the water get root rot. with nutrients, my pro cup pods actually grow fuller and last a lot longer!

1 Like

so looking at the comments, would it make sense to use water that was filtered via one of those pitcher water filters?

1 Like

Hi @AssetBurned

If your tap water is drinkable there is really no need to use those pitcher water filters for the sake of wicks.

Oh the water here is drinkable, but it looks like we can reduce the limestone quiet significant by using those, so i use them anyway. Therefore it wouldn’t be just for the wicks.

1 Like