How to thin your plants and why it's needed

You may have read from our plant care tips that with some pods you should leave only one seedling per pod. This process is called thinning and it is essential for some of our fruiting plants. You can find a list with plants that need thinning below.

Each of our pods have multiple seeds to ensure germination. This however may create a situation where multiple seeds germinate per pod. For most of the plants like herbs and flowers it is perfect, as it ensures plenty of produce. But for our fruiting plants it may end up being a little crowded for them to flourish.

Thinning is required so each plant would have enough space, light and nutrients to thrive. It also helps with airflow near the plants.

Thinning is done after the plants have sprouted. You need to leave only 1 plant/seedling per pod.

1. Look at your pod and decide which seedling is looking the biggest and strongest - this is the one you want to keep.
  2. Gently pull out all other seedlings.
  3. Pat yourself on the back and look forward to some amazing home-grown fruits!

You can also see how it’s done on tomato plants in our thinning guide video:

Plants that require thinning:

Tomatoes

Chilies

Wild Strawberry (leave two seedlings per pod)

3 Likes

Do these flower sprouts have to be culled the same way that the vegetable sprouts do to have a good looking display? I just planted 3 days ago.

2 Likes

@hogmike, do you mean if it should be thinned? It seems one or two plants per pod works best. In my smart garden, I have just one plant per pod and it works great.

1 Like

Mirjam,
Yes, I meant thinned. I have two pods with about 6 sprouts in the clear plastic dome.The other 7 pods will sprout shortly. I just didn’t know with the vibrant flower mix 9 pack flowers if I should thin them or let them have at it.
Also, when should I remove the clear plastic hothouse domes?

Regards,

Michael Miller

1 Like

Dear @hogmike,

there is no need to thin flower seedlings, feel free to let them all thrive :slight_smile: You may remove domes as soon as the seedlings have emerged or already touching the domes.

1 Like

I’m new with Click and Grow. Can anyone tell me where I need to thin my basil seedlings?

(Sorry, meant to say ‘whether I need to thin my basil seedlings.’)

1 Like

Hi @davidmparker,

there is no need to thin basil seedlings. It might feel crowded at the beginning, but it will grow just fine.
For those plant pods that require thinning, such info is given under plant care or received as timed tips on the app.

Mirjam,
Thank you for the information. I was ready with the tweezers and now I’ve laid them aside!

Regards,

Michael Miller

1 Like

My tomato plants are on 13 days now, there r more than one seedling on each pod, should I do the thinning now or wait till it’s a bit bigger then choose the strongest one to stay? Please advice with thanks

1 Like

Hi @Circle ,

you may do it now as there are so many seedlings, just make sure you tap the soil gently back around the seedling you wish to keep.
You may also wait until the seedlings form a first pair of true leaves to choose the best one to keep.

When to thin out sprouts, seedlings
Or just leave them alone? Past experience outdoors would definitely thin out, curious about using this system.
Will include pic

1 Like

Hi @tfalcs and welcome to the community!

Herbs in general don’t require thinning in a smart garden. The germination rate in your picture looks just optimal and you may leave all seedlings to thrive.

We have provided thinning requirements in the plant care info of the product page and timed tips on the app if it is really crucial to do so, you can count on that!