Yellow leaves and one tiny bug in tomatoe plant

Hi! New here. I planted mini tomatoes in the the beginning of January. They looked good until recently the leaves started turning yellow. Today one of the tomatoes turned yellow too. And I just noticed one tiny bug which seems to have disappeared and was barely visible and I can’t see any more but I’m grossed out and considering getting rid of the entire unit now because I detest bugs… Does the plant look ok and if not any advice? Should it be thinned and if so can anyone explain what I should cut off?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I know absolutely nothing about gardening and this is my first rodeo so anything would help.

1 Like

Hello! Yellowing leaves are perfectly normal. Your plants are putting all their effort and resources into their fruit. Your tomatoes look great! I really wouldn’t throw away the whole thing because of one tiny bug. If you see an infestation, that would be another matter entirely. But one little bug shouldn’t be a problem for you. :blush:

Hi! I have a similar problem. My tomatoes plants do fine (height ca. 15-20 cm, bushy leaves) until the tomatoes start to ripen. Then the leaves turn yellow and the plant shrivels up and dies. This has happened in the 3 pod and 9 pod system.
My questions:
a) should I re-pot the tomato plants?
b) could it be that tomatoes don’t like other plants in the system? I.e., should I only grow tomatoes at a time?

1 Like

Hello! Are you thinning your tomatoes down to one sprout per pod? If you aren’t, it would make sense that they start to grow normally but run out of nutrients in the pod when the plants start attempting to flower. Also make sure that you are acting as your own bee and pollinating your little flowers when they grow. There are videos on how to do this, but simply give your plants a gentle shake and/or rub the center of each flower with your finger (I use an old clean makeup brush).