Basil seed got white hair?

Hey! I am new to click and grow and just started my c&g3 with 3 Basil pods last Tuesday.

After around 4 days, the Basil seeds haven’t germinated but one pod got white hair growing from the seeds. Wondering if this is a bad sign?

I live in Singapore btw.

Thank you ahead for the help!

1 Like

Hey @Sicily02
Good to have you!

Quite hard to say what’s that exactly but it doesn’t seem to be anything harmful. If there’s a white hair growing it must be a root emerging. Do all the pods look like this? Maybe you can show it without the domes.
Basil is easy to grow and it germinates well too. It will get a blueish-white mucilaginous coat on the seeds before they germinate and grow their first roots.

One thing you can do is remove the yellow ball - that’s a fertiliser and it’s better if it’s not sitting on top of the seeds.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Debora,

Thank you for your reply!

I have removed some fertilizer as you suggested. The first pot got the most white hair, the second pod got less white hair and the last pod got no white hair so far.
I retook photos without the dome:
First pod:

Appreciate any further comments/suggestions you have! Thanks ahead

1 Like

Second pod

1 Like

Third pod

1 Like

Hey again,

Everything looks as usual. Even if the seeds have little white mold on them it’s harmless, they will germinate in a few days. Just give it time.
The third picture is an excellent example of that mucilaginous coat that helps seeds to germinate.

Oh, sorry when I wrote ‘remove the fertilizer ball’, what I meant by that is to take it away from the seeds but it’s okay to leave it on the upper part of the pod itself.

1 Like

Hey Debora,

Thank you so much for your reply again!

I will just wait for the seeds to germinate in this case!

:grinning: :grin: :wink:

1 Like

Hey,

Hmm, it has been 13 days but none of my 3 basil pods have sprouted.
Should I continue to wait longer?

Thanks!

Hi again

I’d wait for more, for about 21 days then it’s clear if the seeds will germinate or not. Has there been any developments around the seeds?

You can try and place the lamp lower for Smart Garden 3 device, and keep the domes and lids on. If the plants are growing and starting to reach lamp it’s time to add an extension.

Please contact our Support here: https://support.clickandgrow.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
You are eligible for a replacement plant pod if any of the following has occurred:

• No germination after 3 weeks.
  • Plant has a disease.
  • Plant has been affected by pests.

For supressing mould you can try spraying the seeds with mild water solution of suitable ingredient: distilled white vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.
Also if you don’t have these at hand try out natural anti-fungals like cinnamon, apple cider vinegar or baking soda.