Lettuce not sprouting for all 3 pods

Hi,

I have had 3 lettuce pods from my very first order.

None of them sprout for 2 months and I see only Moss…

The basil and tomatoes are looking look ok and the tomatoes are finally showing up (still pale for now). (The plants are sprawling on the sides, rather than growing upwards, but that’s for another topic later.)

I’ve decided to throw out the 3 unsprouting ones.

1. How can I make the lettuce sprout and grow? I’m in Singapore. What are the optimal conditions? I have 3 new pods with me to start over.

2. Why did none of them sprout? It kinda feels like throwing money away when none of them are sprouting…

Thanks!

If nothing is sprouting - contact the Click & Grow support directly. They will send you new ones. Maybe yours lost seeds during transport…
Lettuce needs a bit lower temperatures. I would start with some Basil or thyme in Singapore. And then move towards lettuce and fruits.

We would love to see a picture of your tomato though.

Oh - I didn’t realise we could contact Click & Grow when nothing sprouts. I will do that now.

I started out with Basil, Tomato and Lettuce. Then current subscription that I’ve forgotten to update gave me new pods of Basil, Dwarf Pea and Lettuce, so I’m hoping to have better success with Lettuce this round.

How low should the temperature be? I actually tried to water them with water cooled from the refrigerator (not the freezer) on Month 3 to see if there’s any hope of getting anything.

With both the old and new lettuce pods, I see some round nodules in the soil. Is that normal too?

@priit
Tomato photos:

and it says new users can only put 1 photo… so please merge the 2 parts on ur end to see it
scontent-sin6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/37587363_10155696376138870_985464505012060160_n.jpg?

_nc_cat=0&oh=1d54868ccce4cb0cb190bd5744a6e6f2&oe=5BD03088

1 Like

Unfortunately Green Lettuce is heat sensitive plant and germination is often inhibited by hot temps. The best temperature range is 64 to 72 °F (18 to 22°C), max 75°F (24°C) but I guess it is difficult to provide in Singapure. Though, we have experienced that Romaine Lettuce is a bit more durable, it is worth to try out!

What is the average temperature now?

Definitely tell support about the failure with lettuce pods!

@Mirjam What would be the top heat tolerant plants?

@Priit, excellent question!
The top heat tolerant plants that even grow very well even at 30 degrees (86F) are:

• all basils
  • Herbs: Oregano, Peppermint, Thyme, Coriander
  • all chilies and peppers
  • Mini Tomato
  • Flowers: Lavender, French Marigold, Petunia, Painted Nettle, Polka Dot Plant

There is a warning on the home page, under ‘plant care’ if the plant does not tolerate heat.

1 Like

Marvellous - now those of us in Tropics know!

Singapore is really hot - average temperatures range from 26 degrees at night to 33 degrees during the day. In summers, we can go as high as up to 37 degrees.

I guess I might end up wasting another 3 pods of lettuce I’ve started 3 days ago then…

Air conditioning also works. Maybe you know anyone or any place they might enjoy?

Hmm… good idea. Will see how to go with this. Thanks for the great advice so far!

1 Like