Wanting to grow lettuces in my two 9 pod units

I’m looking for any tips from more experienced growers on getting a good yield for lettuce. I have my own organic romaine and butter lettuce seeds to start in the experimental grow anything pods. I also will be using the pod holders with the slits in the sides to allow for more rooting and longer growing time.

I now have two 9 pod Click & Grow units and one 3 pod. I am possibly wanting to plant all lettuce in at least one of them, romaine and butter lettuce, my 2 favorites.

I’m planning on basil, dill and rosemary in my 3 pod unit.

I am considering growing all cilantro in my other 9 pod unit because I need about a cup of it daily for my heavy metal detox smoothies.

The cilantro the grocery store is getting is far from satisfactory… they mishandle it, and it gets smashed, soggy from the watering system in the produce section and parts of each bunch are often black and slimy. If I can get it at all looking fresh to bring home, it’s usually not usable after 2 days.

I grew cilantro very successfully the last time I planted, but only 5 plants did not produce the yield I need for my smoothies at least 4 to 5 times per week. My cilantro (5 pods) I grew also kept producing for months, even though I really needed many more plants to have enough. Very nice!

Thank you in advance for any help on growing romaine or butter lettuce!
Niara

1 Like

Hi there,

I also grow some herbs only in my Click and Grow gardens, due to the reasons you named about store-bought produce, but also, with these heatwaves, it has become more challenging to get good crops outdoors during summer.

Anyways, lettuce might be tricky during summer as well. When it’s warmer than lettuce prefers, it tends to bolt sooner, and that is why it produces much fewer leaves. Maybe that could be the reason?
In my experience 2 to 3 plants per pod is a perfect number of plants, to harvest baby size leaves.

Thanks very much for that tip!

1 Like