What type of water is best?

I was wondering which is really the best water I can use to water my plants?
I’ve heard that aquarium water is good, rainwater is good, distilled water is good?
Which is best?

1 Like

I’ve used tap water in the past and my plants have done well!

4 Likes

I guess it’s alright. But I would be very careful in places where tap-water is chlorinated.

1 Like

I’ve also used tap water so far, there has been some limescale buildup but nothing too bad.

2 Likes

Can I use carbonated water or should I be as naruralistic as possible and collect rainwater from outside?
I’m confused
It doesn’t rain much here…
Why don’t you sell appropriate water? If you do, can I have a dicount code for that??

2 Likes

After researching I have become a bit confused about the difference.

Distilled water is mineral free.
Demineralized (also called deionized) water is usually generated through by ion exchangers installations. This process does not remove 100% of the dissolved solids in the water, only most of them

2 Likes

If the tap water is drinkable it is also good for CG plants. I have always used tap water and it has been just fine for two years now. It works for me.

3 Likes

I guess from the plant perspective they Are both really good

3 Likes

I’d like to keep this simple - is there benefit in filling up my tea kettle and letting the chlorine etc evaporate (and cool) before watering my g9 garden?

…any other tips to reduce the calcium / limestone buildup etc?

1 Like

I water my plants with the same filtered water—from a cartridge in a housing under the kitchen sink—that my cat and I drink and there’s never been a mineral build up on the soil.

2 Likes

Tap water has very different properties around the world.
But, if you are worried that some minerals may build up, there are two main options to reduce the risk of the wick being clogged up without treating the water:

• make sure that you fill the tank that much, so about 2/3 of the wick is always is water (if the wick in water it will last longer and minerals will not build up so easily)
  • never leave the plant cavity empty, always plant new plant pods asap (by doing so the water is always flowing and minerals can not build up so easily).
2 Likes

One option to increase water quality is to let it settle in a bucket for a couple of days and then disregarding the bottom part of the bucket. Solids will precipitate to the bottom. Aquarium owners use this trick.

4 Likes

For the next quarter, I’m planning on growing Venus fly traps, which requires using distilled water. Since it’s recommended to have a full garden (and I don’t really want to grow just Venus fly traps), can regular plants like herbs, tomatoes, and flowers survive with distilled water since they have the nutrients contained in the pods, and will any problems happen with pairing Venus fly traps with other plants? Thanks!

1 Like

@The_Tran_Dynasty , it should be fine as the plants are locked in their own cups and have the much-needed nutrients with them. Just make sure that other plants would not steal the light from low-growing Venus flytrap plants.

Let us know how it turned out :slight_smile: