Will fast (very!) blossoms on mini-tomatoes actually generate fruit?

I am amazed! I started my mini-tomato pods on 18 December. Two of the three quickly germinated and have grown nice and bushy; the third isn’t far behind. Today marks one month since “planting” and there are a lot of buds and even some yellow showing. So. Is it likely these first blossoms will bear fruit? And, when the time comes, how does one know when it’s time to pollinate?

In the images below, you’ll notice there are no lids on the ones from 05 January. The seedlings had crowded against the “U” so I removed the lids. They quickly showed signs of drying out so, when I thinned them, I was able to leave a sturdy one (they all were) in a position further away from the “U” and put the lids back on.

I’ll appreciate help with my blossom questions. Thanks and be safe.

-HappyME.

2 Likes

Hi @HappyME ,

Well done, you’re really mastering the art of growing tomatoes.

Yes, they will be just fine under your care. This mini tomato cultivar is a real dwarf and the first flowers are able to bear fruits. Just keep in mind that not all flowers become fruit, the plant itself will decide which one to keep.

You may start pollinating as soon as first blooms start flowering, here’s a 2 min video how to take care of tomato plants. Twice a week is good enough.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement and for the link. I didn’t realize the pollinating is so easy. I had in my brain that I had to actually move the pollen from one blossom to another. This is better! :sunglasses: I’m ready to stake when the time comes; I know the fruit tends to be heavy and I hope mine will be (!) I hadn’t mentioned but I do talk to the every day. It’s part of how I garden. Anyway, I’ll keep you posted and thanks again.

As usual … be safe.

1 Like

Just a single stake sometimes isn’t enough. Some of the branches may get heavy as well. I’ve had to tie some branches up with string after I’ve found they folded over!

1 Like