Worldwide new plant pod testing- Plain Parsley

Day 42 (Planted 10.09.18)
Used some sprigs for soup.

5 Likes

Day 49 Harvested some leaves for my mushroom soup. Very strong flavour !

3 Likes

(I am sorry for the delay but i was in a business trip and only returned yesterday night)
Its Day 47 and this week i had to add something to keep them straight, i just had 2 plastic things to use but the corner one doesn’t need it that much, because is against the light extension. I had the need to put this because they were practically on the ground, i assume due to the weight.

3 Likes

Seems like it’s time for harvest!
Harvest all the tallest and largest leaves and then you can lower the lamp again, until next yield.

I was wondering, why do you feel that the parsley needs support?

2 Likes

It is Day 53, and as suggested by the Click and Grow I removed the support from the parsley last week and this week some of the leaves from the middle capsule turned yellow and I don’t know why.

2 Likes

Hi,
yes, some older leaves may turn yellowish as they start to age, and they don’t get that much light (as the lamp is so high).
The common rule for herbs is that one extension allows the right height for herbs and the second one is usually not needed, as it raises the lights too high.
I would harvest it- cut the leaves with the stems (full length), lower the lamp to one extension arm and wait for next growth :slight_smile:

I also post here my own test, 96 days. Temperature range is around 20…22 C. I had 2 full harvest, though I have removed single leaves occasionally. Herbs like to be cut!

5 Likes

Day 60 of the parsley. Did my second harvest and I cut back a lot of the stems. Waiting for new shoots to grow again !

4 Likes

After 69 days.

3 Likes

Hi @Gene, thanks for the update!
That Plain Parsley looks so nice, are you happy with it?

2 Likes

Yes. Very much! They have grown beautifully. I have only harvested once though. Have yet to use them in other recipes.

3 Likes

Since the new test plants (red sweet pepper) have arrived today (12.27.18), I had to transplant the plain parsleys.

4 Likes

Mirjam, I was always told that for soft herbs (basil, parsley, mint), one should prune just above a juncture of two leaves. However you seem to recommend cutting sprigs at the root. Can you please clarify? And when should one start pruning? Also, what is the best way to harvest chives: I thought it was individual shoots at the base, but elsewhere I’ve seen that one should cut one inch from the ground. Thank you.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it is recommended to prune just above a juncture of two leaves herbs that grow stems, so, 2 shoots will regrow per every stem that is cut off. Parsley does not have a stem, this is why it is recommended to remove the whole leaf with the “stem”, so it can regrow from the basal growing point. Chives are also recommended to cut off in full length, new leaves will grow soon.