Hot Climate and plants never germinate

Thank you for the advice. Hopefully the lavender will get better.

2 Likes

No problem! Just make sure that you’re thinning your sprouts down to one per pod next time and I think you’ll have WAAAYYYY better luck on those big plants like tomato or strawberry or peppers. :wink:
(Strawberries get thinned to 2 sprouts per pod…)

3 Likes

Will do :+1::wink:

Hi all,

Second pod is sprouting and the third pod keeps growing mould. I scrapped off the mould and let it dry for a couple of hours, put it back. And three days later, the mould is back. Any suggestions?

1 Like

The presence of mold spores comes from their presence in natural sources - peat and coco coir. Some patches it is more and some less. Also varies with year.
We have tried sterilizing pods, but this makes the substrate prone to ALL airborne spores. Meaning the result might be even worse.
I would just live with the mold. Usually, if the plants grow bigger, you won’t notice it anymore.

3 Likes

It seems that certain plants are not ideal for the climate of Singapore. I have Busy Lizzie, French Marigold and Petunia pods in my Smart Garden and they haven’t germinated despite being planted almost two months ago. Other C&G pods have grown well.

If the warm climate is stopping these temperate plants from growing, maybe not placing the clear domes over them makes a difference? Does anyone know?

1 Like

I pour cinnamon powder over the affected areas. It’s supposed to work as a natural fungicide. Perhaps you can give it a try. It also brings a nice shade of brown that covers up that green ugly slimy algae.

1 Like

I have always had French Marigold germinate and thrive in my SG9. Have not tried Busy Lizzie and Petunia. The other plants that will grow well that I have tried are all the basils, Dotted Plant and Painted Nettle. Here is a picture of a current batch of the dotted plant, French Marigold and Painted Nettle on my SG9 currently.

2 Likes