How are you preparing for autumn and winter?

Hi all,

It would be interesting to know how are you preparing for the little bit colder months.
Whereas we’re all still enjoying the summer harvest, it’s time to think about the upcoming months.
I will make chili jam, probably a few jars. It is the king of every snack table and charcuterie board. I have so many chilies that need to be used up, so I can grow new ones! Also, the homemade jam is a great gift to give. I’ll be using a bunch of red hot chili peppers, chili peppers and yellow peppers. To balance the spiciness I add sweet paprika/sweet chili and sugar. Ps. Don’t forget to clean the chilies with gloves on. :fire:

Another topic is I need to set up an SG9 garden that was put away for the summer. I do occasionally use one of the gardens but the other one I’ll start the growing cycle again in September.

2 Likes

i am thinking about cutting my chillies down at the end of fall and try to get an early start for the season. But i have my chillies already growing outside in a large pot. I will also try to start growing some new chilli plants during the winter so that i can put them outside as soon as the weather is good.
That is what i did last year/this summer.
in the meantime i will grow some salads just to make use of the other slots in my SG9.

About the harvested chillies. I slice them carefully, but them in the oven at 100c and slowly dry them out. once they are nice and dry i grind them down to have chilly powder (also a nice gift). But i still have some chillies from my last years harvest in the fridge.

3 Likes

Yes, I had some salad pods too, and now I find myself occasionally snacking the lettuce as the garden is next to my desk.
That’s a wonderful idea! I already got tired of cleaning smaller chilies anyway. I might try that - thanks!

2 Likes