Small plant with only 2 chilipeppers

hi,

my chiliplant is now 99 days old and is still not more than 10 cm and has only gotten 2 chilies. It has had several flowers and I have tapped the plant/flower to make it pollinate, but no more has arrived…

The first chili to arrive (early may) began to get a brown spot even before the second began to grow. I saw another post with someone who asked about when they will be turning red and it was said that it could take some time.

I planted it in a pot with soil almost a week ago and hope it may produce some more flowers and gro bigger. I took a picture of it right before replanting it. Do you think it will help or did I replant it too late? Will it be able to get more flowers and peppers?
IMG_20190702_070225

1 Like

Hi!

Chillies are usually turning red between 100-115 days. Of course it depends when it sprouted and how well is it growing.
I think you have done everything right and it was not too late for replanting. I belive your chilli will be very thankful for repotting and will produce more flowers and fruits. It just may take some time to see any changes, because rooting and adabting also takes some time.

Good luck with your chilli and keep us posted when you see any changes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much! I actually saw a redish tint this morning so now it is happening :smile:

That is very comforting. Do you have any idea on how long? A couple weeks or months?

1 Like

Maybe 2-3 weeks.
Chili is one of the hardest plants to grow in the Click & Grow because it takes a long time and the nutrients will eventually deplete. Replanting usually works well. Also we are experimenting with new fertilizers to make the future plant pods better.

But for now I just hope the two chilies will have a taste which was worth waiting :wink:

2 Likes

Hello again :slight_smile:
I planted a new chilipod after I bought a heat-mat that I got recommended on another post I made here. It is now 51 days old and has gotten a lots of flowers and soon-to-be-flower-buds. It is very beautiful, but still super small… Not even 7 cm
I’ve tried to use the electrical toothbrush on the flowers to pollinate and it looked very effective as I could see alot of pollen falling.

I forgot to take a picture before I pruned it, but it had some huge leaves that coverd up the entire lower plant (only the top flowers were visible). Underneath it was very bushy so I figured it would get more flowers if I took them off. I was right. Now, 5 days after these picures was taken alot of new bud are to be seen further down on the plant :slight_smile:

As you can see on the picture, the huge leaves had some yellow spots on them. Not sure if that is bad or not. (it’s crazy to see that some of the leaves were actually bigger than the plant it selves… :confused:)

The old plant died after replanting, but I harvested the seeds from the 2 chilies.
I had a failed basil pod that I put a couple of the seeds in (green pot to the left) together with some long lasting fertilizer pebbles, the rest I put in some small pots (big plants in the back). They ones in the regular pots have grown so much and are already much taller than any of my Click&Grow projects ever has been!
The one in the failed basilpod has barely started sprouting, but looks good though :smile:
I put an old temperature meter and placed the outdoor sensor on the heat-mat to better see the growing conditions.

(the front pot is just some strawberry skins I tried to propagate, and it worked on the heat-mat :smile: )

1 Like

Does anyone know what those dots on the leaves are?

Is there an optimal distance between plant and light? I’ve been reading a bit about it, but just got confused due to all the different light paramters…

1 Like

Hi,

Did you thin the pod after sprouting or you just have one plant growing in there? Anyways, it is a dwarf cultivar, could be a little taller, but still remains dwarf and can be grown with just lamp arm.

But the dots. Those are not caused by the lamp. It seems to me that might be early stage thrip damage. Were there also tiny black spots inside the white dot? Anyways, you did the right thing by removing those affected leaves. Keep monitoring the plant pod. The thing with pests is that you only see the damage when it is already too late and it is a real pain to get rid off them.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes I thinned the pod for it to be only one growing there. I know they don’t get huge, but pictures of other peoples plants are usually alot larger than mine. Maybe my pods just gets rootbound more quickly than others :thinking:

Last time the chilies (and plant) got a bit bigger than now. The 2 chilies I got the first time (img in the top of this thread) were 2-3 cm long. This new plant pod has just begun getting green chilies, but they are only 0,5 cm long :confused:

Good to know. No black spots as far as I can remember… couln’t see any bugs either

1 Like