Soft tomato leaves and no flowers

My tomato plants are around 7 weeks old now and (fyi) I did not know that I was supposed to thin them but they have around 2 plants per pod. I just noticed that the lower leaves have begun to droop and are soft/mushy to the touch! I haven’t seen any flowers start to bloom. And there is a lot of mold growing on the soil but I read the mold is harmless. I think I may have overwatered my garden, but I haven’t added any water since starting my garden. Is it too late for my tomato plants?

1 Like

1 Like

Welcome @Pauline

Unfortunately, thinning is one of the extra steps needed to take if growing tomatoes, but don’t be alarmed - it can still be saved. When leaves begin to start getting tender and droopy it’s probably an irrigation issue. Here are some tips on how to act in this case:

1. Check your water level. Float shouldn’t be higher than the garden lid. The best way to check your water level is to take out one of the plant cups and see inside the tank - the water should be below the bottom of the cups and wicks almost fully emerged in the water.
  2. Check the placement of the wick in the cups, it should be in direct contact with the pod. Just push them a little bit more into cups. Wicks should be normally changed every year and checked and cleaned after every growing cycle. Here’s a quick guide All about wicks if you need it.
  3. Water your tomato plants from the top just a little bit. This is not recommended usually, but plants will immediately benefit from it now.
  4. After some hours check the leaves again. The viable leaves have now regained their leaf turgor, those that still are dry and crumbly can be removed.

Mold is harmless and the U-shaped lids help reduce the amount of it. So it’s best to keep them on.
The flower buds are there, not yet fully visible but in the developing stage. Water loss or other circumstances can delay the flowering but they will come soon. Can you also share what is the temperature and humidity around your garden?