Tomato seedling has yellow edges on baby leaves

One of my red dwarf tomato seedlings has yellow edges on new baby leaves in my C & G 3 pod device. I would think, too much moisture, but the tank is supposed to give the right water amount and I’m watching the float device. My other thought is it’s time to remove the domes which would reduce the moisture and allow it to dissipate more into the air. The baby leaves of one tomato plant have reached the top of the dome and the others, which don’t have any yellow leaves yet have not reached the top of the domes, though one baby leaf on my dwarf yellow tomato isn’t yellow, but not really green either - this little leaf doesn’t look too happy to me. I know from growing tomatoes outdoors that they don’t like being too wet, they like to be on the drier side.

My other plants in my C & G 9 pod device are doing well! The dill seedlings are tall enough to reach the top of the dome and I took the domes off this morning and put small water bottles cut to set over the dill for a taller dome, but maybe I should take those off and let them be out in the air. The basil is growing well and will need to have the domes off in another day or two. The cilantro is still tiny. Sprouting but no leaves yet.

Maybe I’m figuring this out on my own re: the little tomato seedlings?
But any thoughts or advice is welcome!

1 Like

Hi Niara

Indoor gardening systems and its cultivars may be a little bit different in their needs than outdoor growing. I recommend growing tomatoes in Smart Garden 9, with special red LEDs that help the fruiting plants grow fruits.

Domes can be removed as soon as you start seeing green speckles that are about a few centimeters or ~1 inch. Or wait until they almost touch the dome.

Could you show a picture of the yellowing leaf on a tomato? It’s okay for the first leaves to die off after the real leaves start emerging because the cotyledon leaves have served their purpose.

It’s good to hear the other plants are doing well. The dill can be droopy and it tends to fall or support its stems on a neighboring plant. Now depends on your temperature but they will do great in open air too.

All plants grow at their own pace and speed. Cilantro has quite a hard seed coat that the sprout needs to emerge from, so it might take a longer time. But it will all be worth it.

The yellowing leaf has become not much of a concern since I wrote my first post on this topic. Its a leaf that will be falling away as the plant starts to mature a little more. Each of the 3 tomato plants are starting to sprout their first “grown up” leaves. They look fine.

Good thought on putting the tomato plants in the 9 pod device. I could I suppose move 2 of the basil pods and one dill or one cilantro pod to the 3 pod device and put the tomatoes in the 9 pod unit. Is that a good idea or should I leave them alone where they are at this point?

There is one cilantro pod that is being very slow to peek up from the soil. But there are at least a couple of green sprouts down in there. And they do have a heck of seed shell to break through.

I may stake my plants, like the dill, to keep them upright if it seems necessary.

Thanks for your response Debora!

1 Like

It’s good to hear that the tomatoes are doing better.

Yes, that’s a good switch! You can move your plants as much as you’d like, I haven’t seen any problems with that.

Some plants are quite stubborn, sometimes I try to lift the shell and help the little guys there carefully.

Yes, staking is a good idea.

You’re welcome.

Thank you Debora!
As a beginner, I really appreciate the advice.

Many blessings & Happy New Year!
Niara

1 Like