Wild strawberry thinning and removing leaves

Hello, my wild strawberries are 10 days old, and they are still very young… but one of the pot has more than 2 seedlings… should I start thining this? Or is it too young?

1 Like

Hi @joann883,

I would let them grow for a week or two. It is best to thin out extra seedlings as soon as the first true leaves appear.

Thank you! I just pulled one seedling out. Hopefully rest of them (2 seedlings) can share resources and grow well together :slight_smile:

Oh… I misunderstood and took out one seedling too early… I did not know what “true leaves” meant :sweat_smile:… I feel sorry for my seedling :sob:

1 Like

Dear @joann883, no need to worry, it is probably ok, just have some patience :blush:. It’s just slow growing at the beginning but the growth will accelerate soon. Just let nature take its course from here and leave it alone until flower stems appear.

1 Like

Thank you for your assurance :slight_smile: I’ll wait patiently and see it grows!

I’m waiting still for my 2nd strawberry pod to sprout. Very exciting! This is my first time growing and everything else is moving along. Wish there were other sm. fruits aside from tomato & peppers.

1 Like

My stawberries are now 32 days old~ out of three pods, one pod is thriving, one pod is doing soso~ and the last one is barely surviving… However, it’s too early to judge~ I’m patiently waiting :slight_smile: :relieved:

Hope your strawberries to thrive!!

Hi,

Thanks … one has just started to show growth!! The other just a round seed still or something in pod?!

Exciting… tomorrow my dwarf peas I’m tranferring extra plants to soil. I just couldn’t ‘kill’ them. I must give them chance to survive! Unfortunately its chilly in FL now & no direct light long enough to grow indoors, so decided to place next to unit w those growing. Maybe I can post for neighbors, may want. Suggestions?

Happy Holidays!

Jen

2 Likes

@jenz, thinning dwarf peas is really not necessary, they will do just fine if multiple seedlings grow in one pod.

1 Like

Hi! Yesterday, my 47days old wild strawberry finally had its first flower bloomed! Should I wait until other flowers to show up for pollination? Or can I start pollinating with just one flower?

2 Likes

What a lovely flower! As wild strawberry flowers of the whole pod will be at different stages of development at all times, so start pollinating as fresh flowers appear. Once or twice per flower should be enough. to have fruits :strawberry:

1 Like

Also, it seems that one wild strawberry plant is not getting enough light. Could you reposition the cups or move some of the lavender stems so it could get the light it needs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out! I was wondering why one of them is always too short… I’ll try to find something to seperate the space between my lavender and the strawberry :)!

1 Like

AND I did it :)!!

Hope this works😅

2 Likes

I hope so too! It is also fine to remove some of the largest strawberry leaves. It will not affect the plant, but allows the light reach where it is most needed. Also, strawberry leaves are good to brew tea :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the useful tip! I’ll try to cut few strawberry leaves amd brew some morning tea with them😊

And may I ask how to use strawberry leaves for tea? Should I dry them? Or can use it right away after cutting?

1 Like

I read that you should either use 100% fresh leaves (with no brown spots) or 100% dried leaves. Do not use leaves in between dry and fresh since it allegedly creates a toxic compound during the drying phase.

2 Likes

Oh my! Thank you soooo much for important information! I’ll be more careful :)!!

1 Like

My 67days old wild strawberry finally gave me one fruit​:strawberry: Smell so~ sweet and taste AMAZING​:kissing_closed_eyes::two_hearts:

1 Like