Worldwide new plant pod testing - Calendula

Hi, Click & Growers!

A while ago we recruited some of you to be our “at home” testers, agreeing to be the guinea pigs for new and up-and-coming plant pods! Our testers grow plant pods around the world in different climates and locations, helping us find the plants that can withstand any environmental conditions and be brought to all of you.

With the help of the testers, we have launched Rosemary, Dill, Black Pansy, Red Sweet Pepper, Piri Piri chili pepper, Plain Parsley, Mibuna and Apple mint.

Our testers are now starting to test Calendula aka Pot Marigold. It is a flower, that will brighten up any space with its yellow or orange flowers.

Moreover, the flowers are not just pretty to look at, but also possess numerous health benefits. It can be used as a home remedy to reduce inflammation and heal infections. Calendula can be used as brewed tea, use either fresh or dried flowers to make some. Or combine Calendula flowers into healing oils or other skincare products.

Calendula is an edible flower, feel free to use it to garnish any dishes or use petals to substitute saffron. Heavy content of carotenoids does not just give a golden glow to your dishes but provides a good amount of antioxidants with health benefits.

First flowers should appear in about 50 days after planting. To extend flowering continue deadheading, the plant pod should last three months easily. If you are making the most of it by using the flowers for your own good- you have deadheading as the main care procedure already covered. Just keep in mind also to remove the flower stem in full length to promote new flowers to appear.

Thank you and happy exploring!

5 Likes

i just received via courier a new set of testing seeds. Calendula… I just click them today. Will wait for the new thread. The gazania plant is still on my SG9. Still budding flowers non stop.

5 Likes

Got mine looking forward to plant them​:heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Happy to be testing again! Hope this is a huge success!! :partying_face::grinning::seedling:

2 Likes

Planted my Calendula pods today. Looking towards a colorful winter!!!

2 Likes

Day 5. 2;of the 3 capsules has germinated.

3 Likes

Calendula experimental pods received and clicked today @ 12.10.20.

4 Likes

Day 7 all three capules germinated !

3 Likes

1 out of 3 sprouted

4 Likes

Three days apart

4 Likes

Day 4; Two pods has germinated.

4 Likes

Great progress only 1 and 1/2 weeks in

3 Likes

Day 06

4 Likes

All growing nicely Day 13

3 Likes

It’s snowing!!! :snowflake::seedling::grin:

3 Likes

Super fast growth

1 Like

2 Likes

Dear all @Salvo_Baglieri, @Max, @Connie_Stephanie_Che @Gene, @noipv4

You have done a very good job and everything has sprouted nicely!

Some of you are seeing quite high germination rates. Please thin out extra seedlings and leave just two seedlings to grow per one plant pod. Calendula tends to have quite a heavy root mass, so thinning out some seedlings would improve plant growth, reduce rootbound, and helps pods to last longer. This is easy to do, just pull out the seedlings you wish to remove.

Many thanks!

2 Likes

After 15 days, looks like a riot! some thinning is in order.

2 Likes