Worldwide new plant pod testing - Gazania flower

Hi, Click & Growers!

A while ago we recruited some of you to be our “at home” testers, agreeing to be the guinea pigs for new and up-and-coming plant pods! Our testers grow plant pods around the world in different climates and locations, helping us find the plants that can withstand any environmental conditions and be brought to all of you promising the highest yield and growth.

With their help, we have tested and launched Rosemary, Dill, Black Pansy, Red Sweet Pepper, Piri Piri chili pepper, Plain Parsley, Mibuna and Apple mint…

Our testers are now starting to test Gazania flower ! Aka treasure flower is an attractive flower that comes in many colors. Gazania blooms are light-sensitive! It means they will close at night, and on cloudy or wet days the blooms of your gazania will not open fully.
First flowers should emerge in about 50 days after planting. To extend flowering continue deadheading, the plant pod should last three months easily.

Our testers from different regions with different growing conditions post weekly updates with photos in our Gardeners forum under this post, so all of you can see and share any helpful tips and see what new plant we are testing!

Thank you and happy exploring!

4 Likes

Just received the pods. Thank you :slight_smile: Very excited !!

We have a heat wave going on here in this part of Europe, with temperatures potentially reaching 35Celcius, and it might be even warmer inside the home, especially during the day.

Would it be a good idea to plant the pods now, or wait until after this weekend when the heat wave will subside? Are these plants tolerant to such heat?

2 Likes

Hi @noipv4,

Feel free to plant them right now. Gazania performed very well in our climate tests at 30C, we would like to see how it performs also in real life :slight_smile:

2 Likes

just received mine, planted and ready to go. Thank you Mirjam :heart:

2 Likes

Hi everyone. I am still waiting for my capsules to arrive. We do have these flowers selling in the nursery and I am very excited to plant them from seeds. Looking forward.

3 Likes

Just got them today. Clicked!

Day 00

3 Likes

sprouted in only 3 days

4 Likes

Day 05

2 Likes

So the Gazanias were masquerading as Marigold ;), but after sprouting we know that they are infact Gazanias

2 Likes

the other 2 are not doing anything

2 Likes

Hi there,
In italy as well there is unfortunately a strong heat wave. Let’s hope it won’t mess too much with the seeds.
Here I’ve planted the seeds on saturday 8th, looking forward to see them grow!

3 Likes

hehee :slight_smile: let’s see if other two also spout. Could it be that the seeds were lost or no longer intact after shipping?

2 Likes

Day 11

2 Likes

Sorry I’m late! We had a bad storm here and lost power for a week! Getting ready to plant Gazania tonight! I live on Long Island, New York. So excited :laughing:
Will post pics after I plant them :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Gazania- Day 00
Planted 8/12/2020
Long Island, NY
It’s summer here around 85 degrees outside but inside it’s about 75 degrees:)

2 Likes

Hi @Mirjam,

Are French marigolds the same as Gazanias?

1 Like

Day 3 here in NY and we already have signs of growth :slight_smile: Only one out of the three so far has sprouted :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi @Gene,

Definitely no. As we just removed French Marigold from our plant portfolio due to quality issues we are using the leftover plastic for tests, to avoid waste.

4 Likes

Gazanias after 2 weeks. Do they require thinning or multiple plants per pod is OK?

2 Likes