Worldwide new plant pod testing - Apple mint

Hi, Click & Growers!

About a while ago we recruited 5 of you to be our “at home” testers, agreeing to be the guinea pigs for new and up-and-coming plant pods! Our testers grow plant pods around the world in different climates and locations, helping us find the plants that can withstand any environmental conditions and be brought to all of you promising the highest yield and growth. With their help, we have tested and launched Rosemary, Dill, Black Pansy, Red Sweet Pepper, and Piri Piri.

Our five testers are now starting to test Apple mint, also known as pineapple mint, woolly mint or round-leaved mint. It is mostly used to make jelly and mint tea and as an ingredient in salads and soups. It is also widely grown as an ornamental plant due to beautiful foliage and attractive flowers.

Our testers from different regions post weekly updates with photos in our Gardeners forum so all of you can see and share any helpful tips and see what new plant we are testing! So, if you’re interested in staying up to date, check back!

2 Likes

Sounds interesting :heart_eyes:
Good luck and cant wait to see the results :four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Hope this mint is a go. Haven’t had apple mint jelly since I was young and would love to make some.

3 Likes

I hope the testing will cover hot topical country like Singapore. The pods failure rate for some of the plants are very high.
I can only purchase limited range of pods at the moment.

2 Likes

Hi,

That is one of many reasons why we do external testing. And yes, thankfully we also have someone helping us out in Singapore. CG plant pods are meant to perform maximum all around the world, but unfortunately, not all species and/or cultivars can cope with the climate there. So, we have added a recommended temperature range for each plant pod under plant care, based on our lab experiments and external tests.

I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced high failure rate. Please let the support know about any problems and they will find a solution for you.

2 Likes

Hi all. It’s me Connie again. One of the plant tester from Singapore !

I received your capsules and started growing on 5th Oct. It has been 5 days and I see some signs of germination on two pods. Indoor weather here at home is around 28°C

2 Likes

Hi Jason. Don’t worry. I am a representative from Singapore one of the 5 tester chosen by Click and grow. I will update my progress.

3 Likes

Hi @Connie_Stephanie_Che, good to have you here! :green_heart:
Nice to see it sprouted! It may take 14 days though.

2 Likes

I think Apple Mint will like the condition in Singapore. They grow quite wild here in Southern Switzerland in summer when it is hot sunny and humid.

Btw. Can you please share the room climatic conditions at your location? I am happy they have germinated so soon :wink:

Thanks

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to C&G team especially Mirjam for the opportunity to test Apple Mint. I received mine on OCT 07 and planted them the same day. I have planted 2 Pods in a SG3 and one pod in a SG 9. The room temperature in Centigrade, here, Switzerland, during the day is around 25 - 26 and at night is 23 - 24. I am waiting for the seeds to germinate.

Interestingly the pods were packaged in experimental :grinning:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info on the expected days required to germinate. I was a bit worried initially :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The average room temperature for Singapore is around 30-33 degC.
Failure in germinating for some of the plants which grow in the range of 20-30 DegC is very high.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s true, during the summer here, our room temperature was between 29 and 35, and the lettuce hardly germinated. But other warmth loving plants like Basil, chilies did not have any trouble with germination. Now during the fall weather here, lettuce is germinating without hesitation.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,
I planted the Apple Mint in 8/10 and its now Day 6 and in one of the capsules we already have a 2 millimeter leaf growing up. The other are not showing nothing so far, at least at a first glance.
I am super excited to try this new plant.

4 Likes

Just clicked the apple mint capsules into the Click & Grow unit. Can’t wait!apple%20mint%2015%20Oct%202019

4 Likes

Day 10. All three pods has germinated. I see many seedlings inside!

3 Likes

Day 08: The seeds have germinated and the tiny seedlings are visible. All 3 pods have germination

2 Likes

Hi, this time I join you and do the plant testing with you. I’m located in Estonia, and during autumn the temperature ranges from 18 to 22 C in my living room, where the Smart Garden 9 is placed. I planted those pods 24.09, so they are 20 days old on that picture

3 Likes

Impressive apple mint germination rate in the autumn temperatures :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Its Day 14 today and all three capsules have now small leaves.
The temperature has been around 18-20ºC, its not the warmest year but they seam to be responding ok.

3 Likes