Idea board of Click & Grow

would love to hear thoughts on this?

1 Like

Maybe for the soil for this idea they can make like doughnut shaped experimental pods so you can put your already grown rootbound pods in the bigger pod

3 Likes

Here are a few ideas I’ve thought about since I got my Click and Grow 9 in December '18:

• A Click and Grow garden the same size as the 9, but it has 7 (or 5) holes and pods instead of 9. just more room between them. When I grew lettuce, many of the leaves died because leaves from other plants shaded over them so they got no light and died. Same problem with tomato and basil. If they were more spaced out, all the plants would get more light.
  • Continuing the thought above: Keep the 9 holes and just make the garden wider/bigger, so the plants have more room.
  • A Click and Grow that takes only 1 pod. It could either be a “garden”/station with a grow light or just a small, round container where you could put one pod in and put it on the windowsill. I want to grow all kinds of things in the office but a full on garden will not fly. As is, I use a mug, but it just looks bad because it is too short and too wide.
  • A Click and Grow that has bigger holes and pods, so the plants can stay in there longer. This also goes with the idea above, as it would be nice to have a “garden” width only one big pod, so you could grow taller things like sweet pepper without moving it to another pot, because I do not have enough light to grow pepper outside of the Click and Grow.
  • A separate grow light, either a standing lamp for your desk or floor, or one that you could “clip” on to a shelf.
  • Lids for the holes, so it looks nice when you don’t use all the holes.
  • The grow light-arm on the Click and Grow 3 should be longer. I know they have said that it is short like that because they don’t want to add light pollution to our homes but the outermost plant doesn’t get enough light on the side that is turning away. I’m sure nobody cares about that extra 10cm for beauty. We would rather have that last plant growing better.
  • A (nice looking, practical) storage box where you could store all your unused pods. I have several packs of unused pods, just in the packs they came in, and it doesn’t look nice and it isn’t practical. (I have to buy in bulk because they don’t ship to my country.)
  • I wish I could choose which pods came with the kits/gardens because I don’t care for basil.
  • It would be cool if you could choose a clear tank so you could put fish in it.
  • Start shipping to the Faroe Islands and other countries that they currently don’t ship to.
4 Likes

I have had great experience growing Atriplex hortensis / Red Orrache / Mountain Spinach. It’s used frequently in Romania for soup and impossible to buy fresh here were we live. Can certainly recommend it for experimental pod adaption by Click and Grow!

I agree with Rewna about the suggestion for “lids”. I use random items but it’s really adhoc. AFAIU it would help prevent any unwanted growths in the water so it’s really quite important.

My own suggestion is a LED-less self watering holder/plant-pot for pod containers. A very simple 7x7x10+ box with a hole in the top allowing the pod container to be clicked in (note: the entire pod container, including it’s wick, either you’d need to include that in the package or instruct customers that it’s a requirement). Preferably with a small transparent section on one side (facing away from the window) to make it trivial to look at the water level. To water you’d need to remove the pod container but it’s not that frequent anyway based on my experience, same as the Click and Grow itself roughly as without the LED growth is slightly slower. It would be nice if they were subtly rounded on the edges to look like the existing Click and Grow but with a slightly smaller bezel.

Right now my post-kindergarten is a bunch of naturally lit glasses filled with water. Does the trick but would be really nice to have the additional stability of a square boxy design.

P.S Now I see that Rewna also suggested this! :smile: I fully agree! (though without the grow light, as, price and cables and complexity).

P.P.S Square vs round so that they can be placed on a windowsill with further increased stability. Also, flat base.

1 Like

Would be great if there was some sort of option for a protective barrier, like a fence, with a convenient opening. I have cats and they love to destroy my garden.

3 Likes

I think dwarf eggplant, dwarf avocado, and dwarf cucumber would all work well and would be good additions to the Click & Grow stock. Possibly even dwarf carrots (some are thick and as small as 2ish inches) but I’m not quite as certain about those. Really, more types of fruits/vegetables would be the most useful for my gardens.

2 Likes